Sunday, October 9, 2011

On communications

Suffice it to say, home is glorious.

There's an odd bit, though: cellular communications.
My mom was kind enough to buy a temporary sim card for me, as I did in Nepal-in part safety, in part connectivity, and to a great extent, an unwillingness to revert to pre-cellular life.

In Nepal, a guesthouse guy took me to a friend who hooked me up and I had a sim card for my SIM 2 slot (Thai phones have one sim for the big wife and business, one for the little wife and pleasure), and I was set to go.
Had I gone to Cambodia, I would've been covered by 4G throughout the country. In Nepal, it's enough to get reception qt 20000 feet in places that regularly have power 2 hours per day.

First there was no way to buy a sim card. Then there was a sim card but it wouldn't work with my phone.
Recharge the phone I had before I left, and the sim card registers. Great.

But it only works in the middle of developed areas.
At home? Sort of.
In Fallon? Emergency only.
Fernley? Dayton?
Same.
Reno, Carson, S Tahoe, okay.
Anywhere in between? Fat chance.

In Thailand, I've found one place without cell reception: in a river raft, between the banks, deep in the jungle. But get up on the bank and it's back to full bars.
Amazing.


Sent from Candid the iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment