Thursday, July 22, 2010

On pizza

Yes, I love Thai food--the spice, the freshness, even the rankness; every flavor is deliberate and intense and sparks. Nothing is preserved unless through fermentation, and refrigeration is for water; it took a little while for me to get this, but in the Thai mentality, why eat something so old it has to be refrigerated? Or in any mentality, why eat such old food?
So, sparking intensity, fresh fruits and veg, generally lean and sparse slivers of protein, all the killer lime and pepper and seafood and all fresh and cheap and last night, I found about my favorite thing thus far: muo kim--a deep fried hunk of bacon.
Barring a pizza, which would cost about a week's salary, I've been craving bacon with an egg over easy--fat and protein unsullied by other nutritive benefits.
Even better, I've found where to buy a flat of eggs for about 30 cents, there are no potatoes as we know them but some savory fruits that would fry up nicely, and uncut slab bacon; one guess what I'll be cooking for my first meal at home.
(Which of course raises the spectre of a charred and blackened mess ruining the bottom of whichever pan Landlady leaves....)

No comments:

Post a Comment