Monday, June 27, 2011

On beef

I would've said I'm pretty well over being surprised at what I encounter in Thai cuisine--that left somewhere around the steamed horseshoecrab egg salad served in the shell.
And then I found beef on the menu of my favorite indigenous dinnercart.  I was surprised at myself for missing it before, but right in front of me was beef, spicy boiled or spicy fried or something else.
Rejoice!

I should've taken a photo, but I was too hungry and surprised.

I had the something else version, which came as a pseudo-suki: the traditional flaming ring pot of tom yam soup, but emitting the distinct overtones of organ meat, with the traditional chipped mylar plate of raw leaves and sprouts, and another chipped mylar plate with a boiled calf foreleg hanging over each end.
It was about the size of my forearm and had scoring down its length, and the ankle and hoof had been hacked open to give access, but that was all the preparation for plating.  That and a couple of days boiling in a multi-spice organ meat stock.
So you take your spoon and fork (and fingers once it cools) and pry off chunks that go into the soup, which you then spoon into one of the tiny little mylar bowls.
Unsurprisingly, in the couple of bites I had before my tongue was too seared to accurately convey sensations, it was pretty good.  Likewise, after I gave up on the broth and picked at the leg with my fingers, it was surprisingly tender and beefy, not just tom yam spicy.
Maybe if I spent a few days simmering with cow joints and organs, I'd be nice and beefy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment