Monday, June 27, 2011

Where are you?

I can handle students checking out on me.  It just goes with teaching, right?
So I have tricks to get them participating, engaged, maybe learning--callbacks, copy, group questions, their conditioned responses to engage a mass critical enough to trickledown into the others.
So I kinda expect the back-row guys won't get it if I single one out and ask whatever the most recent question is--really, who cares about the farang droning on about whatever?  You're twelve, you're Thai, I don't want to ask where you go when I'm talking.
So we're doing the shoutbacks--"What do you like to eat?"  "I LIKE TO EAT TOM YAM GUNG!" a few times.  And I watch one of the peripheral guys, into it but just a little too cool to have fun or participate, mouthing and shouting through.  What blew me away was singling him out, saying, "What do you like to eat?" and getting an absolute flatline.
Okay, you're twelve and Thai so you check out when I'm talking, but where do you go when YOU are talking?

No comments:

Post a Comment