Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Learning and learning

Here's the thing: any kids who fail will be retested and retested and retested until they pass.  So as I'm administering an oral quiz--what is your nickname, what is your favorite food, what is your favorite subject, when is Christmas--and watching a student squirm away and try to duck from my view, the present and pressing question is how much I want to put us both through before just giving a ten out of twenty possible points and calling it a wash.  
My teacher brain protests mightily, of course, but this is Thailand and things work differently over here.  Students do no fail unless it's in individual competition.  

And at the same time I'm expected to retest and pass everyone ASAP, there are meetings and cancellations peppered across the schedule and I stand to lose a couple weeks of class meetings to catching up with missed tests, and then I'm supposed to be instructing something new for the next evaluation period.

No comments:

Post a Comment