Monday, December 20, 2010

More education

In America, there was a precedent of pretending not to turn to the
token exchange student as a representative of the rest of the world.
Let Token speak for himself and maybe people in his town, but don't
hold him to a culture across the continent or beyond.
But this is Thailand and I'm not the token in back but the focus up
front. I represent the English speaking world, and I stepped into the
post willingly, if not really knowingly. So now I represent Australia
and South Africa as much as America and speak for Oxford as much as
Chicago and as an obsessive academic who actually read the new
editions of the MLA and Chicago manuals, it gives me great
consternation because here at the American Missionary College the
English Programme uses proper Oxford English. And while I have no
compunctions about ignorance of cricket and no prospect of an
opportunity to use the knowledge, it bugs the hell out of me that I
couldn't properly format a research paper on A4 paper.

Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment