Thursday, December 23, 2010

A reminder to drink bottled water

I guess it's just about the same system we have at home, but it's odd
to see one blue 18mm PVC pipe come into the bathroom and split to
service the nozzle over the drum of water (you keep a 55 gal drum in
the bath at all times--very handy when the power or water are on a
break), the ass hose where a westerner would reach for toilet paper
("and do I like the ass nozzle or toilet paper? Ask my hemorrhoids."),
the toilet tank, the urinal, and finally to the sink.
There's just something about the sink being downstream from the toilet
that gives me the willies.

I've been here too long.

I forgot to mention the drainage. As you enter the square of blue
tile, the blue pipe is at 12 o'clock with the toilet, urinal and sink
at 2, 3, and 4. There's a drain at 10, which the w'rn mind takes to be
for cleanimg purposes. Heh.
The sink does have a downpipe. And that is all. Everything that ends
up in the bathroom sink drains across the bathroom floor to a hole in
a gray water drainpipe. Well, bronze water, maybe--the urinal's outlet
is just downstream. But the toilet is on another system entirely, so
breathe easy. And don't think about the other bathroom being right
upstairs.

I say I've been here too long not because I sometimes don't think
about these things but because I'm greatful for a sink, period, and
because a urinal with just a downpope is much much worse than no
urinal at all, and much more common than bears recounting. It's just
that it's so easy to pee in an open hole or squat toilet that my brain
doesn't accept putting in a urinal that drains straight onto your
toes. Especially since most people wear flipflops.

Welcome to Thailand.


Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment