Monday, May 30, 2011

On baggage

This struck me as interesting:
To pack and prepare for a weekend out of town, I got my school bag
ready in the morning-doublecheck pens and notebook and toss in some
sustenance carefully packed against columns of ants by precious
Ziplocs preserved around the Himalayas-but before adding the bottle of
soda, I put in a couple of lightweight tees wrapped around lightweight
boxers, a comb, and, in the most extravagant use of space, my sandals
in a grocery bag (so I can leave the shoes at work).
I already carry toothcare and 70% isopropyl alcohol (which I use for
deoderant in the morning and sanitized thereafter) and the
forementioned pens, pencils, and a notebook or two. With the addition
of clothes-a volume of about a quart-I'm set for 2-10 days. Up it to a
gallon and I'm set to live (anyplace tropical).
I guess what I find interesting is that not only do I not pack a bag
for the weekend, nor would I for a week, but that the additional
weight and volume is less than the bathroom bag that spent the past
fifteen years as a foundational component of even an overnight trip.
And the load of loot I brought back was pretty telling, too: colored
pens (I was hoping to find rubber stamps but no luck) and foodsttuffs
I can't find here--miso packets, rolled oats, lemon pepper, a bottle
of dopplebock dunkel, ginger snaps, and, wonder of wonders, zip-close
baggies.

And the funny part is that even though Had Yai is known for its
markets and bazaars and cheap upper end retail, I doubt anyone with a
Gucci, "Gucci," or Guci bag was happier with it than I was with whole-
flake oats and ziptops.

Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment