Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On flooding, laundry, and hope for more

Nakhon Flood
During morning assembly, school was closed for today and tomorrow. I had grand plans, but I sat down with a book, a jar of peanut butter, and a box of local-grade Ritz crackers, and suddenly it's dark and dinnertime.
And I don't even feel guilty.
I still managed to get up at 6, out the door at 6.45, print off and get approval on
came home, grabbed my camera, took some shots, and then tracked down a laundry service.

I want to say more on that later, but, well, might as well: last time I lived here, they wrote my room number on every garment using a permanent marker. Not too happy about that. Plus a plastic bag cost about 150, which seemed more like a room-service price. So I went for a walk down the street and found a jolly sort of matron with racks and racks of laundry hanging in her entryway/parking area/driveway/neighbor's driveway/street. I asked, through gestures, if she would do my wash, and she started yelling for her kids. Students at AMC.
"Oh, Teacher Harry Potter! Yes, she do laundry for you!"
So for a flat fee of 450 I can bring her as much laundry as I want, and she'll have it done the next day. Two days, tops.
I guess I'd rather not have my tie-dyed or Superman boxers hanging outside a student's window, but then, well, what the hell. Beats having the same given to the student living in my old room, right?

So there we go. What a productive day.
Even better, I have tomorrow off, too. And here's hoping for enough rain to close school Friday without doing any further flood damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment