Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wait, huh?

And evidently there was another meeting in the other English Department (so now I'm in 3 different power structures: the English Program, which is farang based, the prattom or primary English department [whose head avoids speaking english whenever possible] and the mattayom department). I was volunteered to judge and orate at a big deal sort of spelling bee next week. Oh, and could I draw up a list of sentences for the competition? Maybe in time for our students to study some, and I'll be able to help them next week, right?

Hmm. Okay. Um. Let's see if you two can work this out over who needs my time more, okay? Oh, but ultimately, the English Program will make the call, so get them over, too, alright?

And remember, this is Thailand, and not the part accustomed to farangs. The webs and scaffolds of rank and face and hierarchy are massive and all important. And I'm pretty well completely oblivious and hoping a dumb smile and culturally-literate EP boss will help me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment