Monday, August 30, 2010

New Game, New Game!

It's like Calvinball brought to life

When I got here, I received a stern lecture: our students are brilliant and need to be challenged. Most of them have been playing music since infancy and are now budding prodigies. Push them.

I found a student body mostly musically illiterate: out of all my classes, maybe three students could correctly identify all the notes on the staff or even half of the basic rhythms. So I went into remedial, get these kids learned mode.


I received another lecture, much more stern. Stop pushing notes, stop pushing rhythms, this is music. Music. Everyone passes music. It's fun singing and dancing time, not work time, not time to push or assign homework. It's time to have fun and sing songs, so back off. In fact, scrap your lesson plans. You have three weeks of regular classes before we're into review and finals. Make sure the kids love you and music class. That's all you gotta do, okay?



No comments:

Post a Comment