Thursday, August 26, 2010

On Caffeine

They drink instant coffee. Period. Hate the smell of real, brewed coffee. Really.

I've given up.

In the morning, I drink iced, sugar-free coffee from a can. And canned coffee comes in four basic varieties: sickly sweetened but uncreamed "black;" premixed sweet and creamy; extra sweet and creamy; or sweet and extra creamy; two places in town sell unsweetened but creamed, and I hope it's not a limited supply shipment or somesuch.
Especially disconcerting is the overwhelming presence of pre-mix "3 in 1" deals: coffee, cream, and sugar, in Thai proportion (which is to say, sugared cream with a kernel of coffee), in a little tube to rip into hot water. Good luck finding black fake-coffee.

But here's what blows me away: tea is almost impossible to find. There are boutiquey herbal infusions done up in tourist trappings, but black tea is almost impossible to find. And go figure, after so much powdered fake coffee, I've been craving a straight cup of tea; the best I've been able to do (you'd never guess) is a 3 in 1 insta-pack.
Which is to say, I'll keep looking. Sigh.
Welcome to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment