Thursday, August 12, 2010

Teacher Ow


One of the interesting things about Thai culture is the nickname: everyone has a nickname they get when they're born or are very young, and it's frequently something fairly wild: Sadudee, Ultra, Bang, Boom, Gem, &c.
Well, to G5, I'm Teacher Ow. Which is hilarious.
To G1, I'm, "Teacher motocy! Vroom vroom!" with accompanying motions and toppling. Which is hilarious.
I'll post this shot because it doesn't involve much pasty white and bony exposure. I'm not exactly sure what happened with the ankle, but that's the side the bike fell on, so maybe it got a little crushed. As for the fingers, just imagine the shoulder, elbow/forearm, a nice bony line down my right pelvis, and the front of my right hip sharing similar stories.
What's odd was looking a couple of days afterward and recognizing what would be classic shots of trauma from the EMT training manual. At the time, the only light came from the ambulance roller bar, and what wasn't covered in gravel was bleeding too much to discern. And there was someone flat on the asphalt, which generally pulls a trump to a bloody finger.

My big problem is that I'm in whitesand tropical paradise, with nice, warm, salty water. I've tried, a number of times, but not even my most masochistic smile is enough to offset the salty burn.
So, shucky darn, I have to sit on the balcony and watch the world pass by on the main commercial drag, which is the only thing between me and the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment