Friday, January 14, 2011

In the context

My boss sat me down, very serious. This is the Thai equivalent of a formal hearing.
"Many student come to me because they concerned they not passing."
*Mental images of students staring with blank panic as I ask, "What is your name?" and the series of questions we've asked every class meeting this term*
Right, many students failed the midterm.
"You give them a retest?"
No, you told me to do that next week.
"Is up to you."
Well, you told me to teach this week and test next week.
And we circle around and around until she says, "Okay, but when you give me final grade, everyone have to pass. Okay? If they not passing, you stay and YOU give them summer tests. Okay?"

Visual: the really fat kid whose eyes are too close together who sits in back and stares at the top of his desk all period and shat himself--in a juicily noisy display--the one time I called on him, getting a passing grade.

A coworker assuaged me:
Think of it like the SAT: if you get drool on the paper, you get a 300. This is Thailand. If you can make it as far as drooling on the test paper, you pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment