Friday, January 21, 2011

Welcome to Thailand

The Type A part of my left-brained self burnt out a while back. It's a
good thing it did, too because otherwise I'd be more tempted to think
about things and maybe look for explanations. This way, all I have to
do is observe and experience.

I'm burnt out on responding to all the hoots and hellos and ignore
them unless they give merit to respond-no hoots or grunts, no hey yous
or HELLOHELLOHELLO! but of course every hello teacher! And the
increasing number of hails by name-not just HARRY POTTER.
This generally serves me well, but then as I was walking along
ignoring a group of hooting and grunting guys, getting myself worked
up for the roughest Prattom class of the week (which would be Friday
afternoon), one of the guys came running up and pulled me aside by my
backpack straps. When I looked up, I saw that the guys had been tryin
to point out the dumptruck baring down on me.
Brilliant, teacher, brilliant.

And then one of the guys from the rough class came flying at me--
really flying with his arms out and sound effects--and crashed into a
hug that attracted half a dozen third graders who wanted to practice
English.

How fantastic is that? How lucky am I?

And why can't this place make up it's mind to be tropical paradise or
dank and moldy, parasite infected backwater hellbent on exploitation?

Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment