Friday, January 21, 2011

On Cultural Sensitivity

It's like q form of Tourettes. I'll blame it on the diesel fumes and
DDT in the rice water with a hyperabundance of pesticides thrown in,
because it seems to be a national affliction that Thai people revel in-
they just can't stop themselves from blurting out whatever phrase
leaps into their minds. In my experience, this is HARRY POTTER!
It's like the guy who walks down the street making odd yelping sounds-
he doesn't mean to, nor do they mean anything, they're just sparks
thrown off by crossed wires.
It's just odd that it would afflict the entire damn culture.

My mom tells a story about eating a spicy huevos rancheros that gave
my infant backside quite a rash. (Dear god I'm telling baby stories
about myself. I really am the innocuous and bumbling teacher my
students see.). Maybe if I'd grown up on breast milk laced with
Birdseye chilis and rotten fish seepage, I too would blurt out
anything that popped into my head.

Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment