Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Odds and ends

A couple of photos to wrap up Activity Day.  By the end of the week, I'll have some classroom shots up.  

It's gone from the chilly, moldering, dank and nasty to 96 in the shade.  At 98% humidity.  And there's a month before the hot season really cranks up.

I've said little about the music programme here because that's the best thing I can do for it.
Not the rigidity of stance, dress, and formation.  Note that some of the students appear to be playing from memory and others have music on the ground.  Imagine that this is the premier group so disinclined to practice, and that each person, regardless of the presence or absence of music, is playing in whatever key seems most appealing in a tempo relatively close to that of the drummer.
You start when you're ready.  You play what you feel like, sometimes even the same piece.  And it ends when you get tired of it.  

Classes, as I think I've mentioned, are segregated by aptitude.  Somehow M6 ended up being the class that makes me want to slam my head in the door for an excuse not to attend, but M1 is generally the roughest and M15 get sent to Bangkok or Hat Yai.  These two are in M1.  On the left, wearing the backpack, is a girl who came up to me after the second or third class and said, "Teacher, teacher, I am sorry.  Is very, very bad."  I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't remember if she's Fern, Bam, Bim, Baifern, or Baitam.
One day while walking across campus under my own little stormcloud with lightning bolts of "HARRYPOTTERHARRYPOTTER" someone came up behind me and hugged me with, "I love you, teacher!"  It was Ing, the girl with the fingers.  She's since formed a coalition who like to stop me to say, "I love you, teacher!"
It's hard to express how much they've done to improve my outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment