Friday, February 25, 2011

The Thai Effect

I'm two weeks from having boots on Nepalese soil.
I'm not sure when exactly I'll get there though, because I'm not sure how soon I can leave without leaving a job to come back to.  And at this point there's no use worrying whether I leave in 8 or 12 days.
There was a bank error and money I thought was there is not there.
There was another sort of error and my W2 was not shipped, so the backup refund is a hope for retroactivity.
Too bad my vacation time didn't coincide with the finances that initially made me think it might be possible.

The good news is that I have my boots and sleeping bag, shipped from home.  The sleeping bag is vacuum packed with longjohns and wool socks, but I'm too afraid of the mold that grows quicker than cobwebs to open the packaging.
The boots have been through a summer of hiking, a summer of Alaska, a summer in Europe, all the hiking and snowshoeing in between, and have been dormant since I came to Thailand.
Boots are not designed to accommodate such changes as my physiology has undergone.  No mention of such areas of the said physiology as determine the fit of a given clothing item like boots that have been over a thousand miles.
Not that the sweet spot isn't there, it's just that my foot has moved to a different spot.

The other good news is that I have a book with a single-page line map of the places I might stay while on the Annapurna Circuit.
But it sounds pretty easy to find, so I'm planning on buying an actual map once I'm in Kathmandu.  Also a fleece, parka, gloves, hat, water bottle, pocket knife, and medical supplies.

A year ago, such a state would've been distressing.  At least.
Now?  Hell, it's more than a week out, no reason to stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment