Sunday, March 6, 2011

On Paying for Things

The nice Korean lady who lives above the salon next door was outside watering her plants as I walked home.  I made a buzzing sound and general haircut motions and asked if today would work.  She waved me in, and the usual flurry of buzzer and comb waving started up.  
Then she brought out a straight razor.  She was polishing up the edges and the skin on the back of my neck gave out: a little nick.  
There is much yelling and the other lady is summoned from upstairs.  Alcohol and sterile pads and gauze and tape.  
Really?
She's finished, and tries to wave me off, but I give her the customary 60 Baht.  

Pharmaceutical preps for Nepal (prices in TB):
Anti-inflammatory-20
Antibiotic ointment-60
Tape-40
Antacid-40
Anti flagellant/amoebic/bacterial gut bombs-80
Anti-fungal-60
Anti-diahrreal-30
Anti-allergen-30
Anti-Migraine-60

Street-grade codeine goes for 100, but I think I'll wait and patronize a pharmacy in Nepal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment