Friday, March 18, 2011

plans

More discoveries. Reflections will come eventually.

It turns out tomorrow is the festival of spring when people spray
colored water all over--sounds exciting. Here's hoping my camera
survives (as if the days and days of dust storms weren't enough). On
Sunday I'll go to Lumpini, where Buddha was born, and spend a couple
of days, then go to Chitwan National Park for an elephant back
critter-spotting safari and round out for a couple of days in
Kathmandu.

Wait, what? Am I really saying this?

And from there I'll look into going back to Thailand a little
early--this has been a great time so far, but it's tough as hell to be
a tourist in Nepal and I could use some time with consistent
electricity, actual hot water, maybe a greater modicum of cleanliness
and comfort for a couple of days before heading back to NST. And
whoda thunk Bangkok would be a destination for that? Then again,
maybe Kathmandu will surprise me. I have a guesthouse rec from a
guide I met on the trail, so it might work out, but it's wearing being
a cash cow whose life story must be reviewed at every interaction.
With nice, still, humid air a layer of smoke and smog has socked in
and dropped visibility to 2K, but the locals all say it's just cloudy
weather and it'll pass sometime. Evidently, clouds in Nepal smell
like crop fires and burning house trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment