Monday, March 7, 2011

whoa

In less than a day, I'll be enroute to Kathmandu.
In less than two days, travel gods willing, I'll be in Pokhara.  Not long after that, I'll be hiking back from Jomsom.
Maybe.
Possibly.

It should be noted that every time I've googled into Nepal, Annapurna, Kathmandu, Pokhara, Jomsom, or trips/packages therewith, plans have changed.
See, first there's the "WHOA!  I could do that?  Cool!  I could DO that!"
Which is exactly how the trip came about in the first place--no way in hell am I up for the PCT or AT, for carrying a full-on pack with food and tent and cookery supplies in addition to three-season gear, let alone doing so in the highest mountain range in the world.  No way in hell.
But navigating a web of teahouses and villages 2-5 hours apart, any one of which will provide shelter, food, water, and whatever else hospitality might dictate, that's a different story.

And that's where the planning ends: it's such an epic hike in such a dramatic area that just about anyone with a significant outdoor interest or investment wants a piece.  And has taken a piece.  Which is then advertised online.
What a fantastic guidebook!... written in 1996.
What a killer interactive map! "Note: since the Maoist rising, trails have experienced severe degradation and are not to be relied upon."
"Was had great time 2010!"
"Mail Delivery Subsystem: inbox overloaded."
404 not found.
Bad link.

What I know is that I'll step into Kathmandu on Wednesday and leave a couple Saturdays down the line.  In the interim, I think it'd be cool to see Pokhara--where I've made a contact!--and Jomsom.
It'll be easier once I'm on the ground and buy a map, see what the legs are up for doing.

And then I fly back in April to work a summer camp that may or may not involve students in the new, English Intensive Programme, which will entail teaching some degree of grade 45678 in the intensive or regular programme--who knows?  Why worry about it at this point?

What I know is that I have a few weeks in the mountains, before I have a few months to grind before a return.

No comments:

Post a Comment