Sunday, July 10, 2011

further updates from the far side of a year

It occurs to me--with unfortunate frequency--that if the time I spent squatting was actually spent doing squats, I would have some big thighs.

(Backstory: I brought over a massive edition of "Les Mis." Hugo was one of my absolute favorites some years back--DAMN! Some decade-plus ago, almost two decades back!--and I bought this gloriously fat, new, unabridged translation to go to Italy.  It didn't make the packing cut and I rued the choice as soon as I saw the books available at the BX.
Wow--to think of the difficulties I had in Italy, the relief of stepping into the BX and ordering a Whopper to eat while surrounded by big, solid, twangy Americans.
No, best not.
Suffice it to say, I didn't make the same mistake again, even if Hugo did sit in a bag for a year.)

It made me laugh to slide onto my tippy throne--toilet seats are enough of an alien luxury that fastening them does not oft happen in this culture--and see the largest commercial volume I've seen in Thailand sitting there as bathroom reading.

One day, there will be a similar tome next to a perch that occupies similar significance, save that it will be comfortable overstuffed leather and accompanied by a fireplace and more likely than not procured by a canid.
And that will be glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment