Thursday, July 21, 2011

On Certification

I want to get a TEFL certificate, but it's prohibitavely expensive to do so the legitimate, in-class way: a full month's rent in another city, plus living expenses for four weeks, having the time to do so, and paying the equivalent of six or seven weeks' salary. It's steep.
So I went on an online quest, and figured it would work. There's a goodly bit of fine print that makes me think someone with my experience and a basic certificate would be in pretty good standing. And then I started looking at the fine print.

Now I'm waffling like a newbie candidate in the People's Choice Mayoral Coalition, but it's looking more likely that I'll sign up for the actual CELTA course.
After digging through a ton of websites, the one I found most appealing was a 140 hour course incorporating young learners, business English, hotel English, and general TEFL. I emailed them some questions, and they said they've been accepted by the Omani Ministry of Higher Education but needed to provide many supplemental materials certifying their authenticity and content.
And to be perfectly frank, it made great sense once I saw the certificate: generic .pdf saying "___(your name here)___" has completed "__X__" hours of online study with TEFL BOOTCAMP on __(date)__

I can't shake the feeling that if I were a screener and saw an application with "online" and "TEFL Bootcamp" I would sincerely question the application's veracity and wonder what sort of gibbon the applicant was expecting to review the materials.

Then again, they have a pretty robust return policy, so if an application was rejected based on lack of certification, it appears that I could simply request a refund and be up the e-book reading without being out the cash. And if they have already been accepted, maybe that bridge is fortified.
So if indeed the refund is a true "No questions asked" policy, I have nothing to risk, especially if the jobs (at 400% my current salary + room and board) are okay with the TEFL Bootcamp.
It's just so easy to imagine being in any academic office I've ever seen and hearing, "Get this--some dude is applying with credentials from TEFLBootcamp.com--how's that for ripe?"

No comments:

Post a Comment