Thursday, July 7, 2011

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ME!

It's been a year.
No comment.
Well, almost.

It's been quite a year, and I've seen and experienced (survived) many incredible things.  Most of which I would rather do without, even if they have been instructive in what I can survive, accept, and wish never to perpetrate or perpetuate or instigate or witness ever again in my life.
Still, there are things like the food--pig gut soup with fried chicken for breakfast, unripe papaya in fermenting fish juice for lunch, horseshoe-crab caviar on the halfshell--and my fourth graders, and some of the people around town, that will warm my heart as long as it beats.

What I can say for sure: there's a stringy bit of wire-tough stubbornness in there somewhere that can withstand a whole helluva lot.
The tropics are nice, but I belong in the mountains.
There are nice things in the world, but nothing's like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment