Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Intelestink

Last year, my savior of a Thai teacher, PeeWee, had a student teacher
she was supervising. Toward the end of the term, the student gave
PeeWee a project report/term paper and said "help make this good" or
somesuch. PeeWee gave it to me and said "fix it" or somesuch. Which I
did. Which is to say, I kept most of the subjects and what seemed to
be the inspirations behind the verbs and rewrote the paper. And it was
still pretty craptastic as far as an English 102 paper goes, but this
was Thai grad school so who's to say, right?
I just pieced that the new, exceptionally beautiful co-teacher I have
is the selfsame one.

Maybe this is why the educational system stays as it does.
And what is there to do? What can you do?
My upstanding morals would make PeeWee look bad (about as smart as a
walker-bound geriatric going postal on a walker with a hacksaw), and
her failure to fix the paper would make the student look bad, and her
failure would make her professor look bad, or I could just spend 30
minutes rewriting the damn paper.

Uphold the status quo, support the middle path, take the easy route--
same same, but different here in Thailand where it's the core of the
dominant (yet unofficial--no taking sides, remember) religion.

Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment