Monday, July 4, 2011

What I miss

I think I spotted it this morning: the sense of safety and security.
The world here is, for me, a dangerous place. Catch a toe on an uneven
bit of sidewalk, fall flat on my face, and expect some horrible
disease/infection.
No mention of crossing the street.
Or waterfalls.
It's enough to know there are two meter cobras in the park. And the
omniverous Thai water dragons. Plus the insect and arachnid life with
associated infections.
Mosquitos and dengue, malaria, yellow fever, elephantiasis.
Don't drink the water. Don't eat the food. Don't rile the natives.
Don't touch the girls. Stay away from the drugs. Whatever you do,
don't pressure it. Never lose face. Just keep smiling and smiling and
laughing and smiling.

It's not like Nepal, keeping one hand on my wallet, watching my back
for the next predatious assault.
It's much softer and harder to escape--don't sleep too deeply or
you'll wake up in a puddle of leakage. Don't ask too much or the
smiling nods will mean termination. Don't drop your guard, let slide
full mindfulness, relax for more than a jolting instant or you'll get
sideswiped. Litrerally.

I guess it comes down to my hopelessly un-Buddhist nature: I really,
really enjoy being unmindful. And I dearly miss the chance to check
out and live my life without being constantly alert for threats from
inside and out.

Maybe one day....


Sent from Speedy the ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment