Wednesday, August 10, 2011

exploring new depths

It's hard to go here--in retrospect, what's to say? There's nothing to cushion or soften any bit of it.
So I'm in the botiquey, farang-friendly market, which is attached to a food court in the basement of the mall. This is where you run into half a dozen students and parents if you're sneaking out on a Tuesday afternoon; Saturday is a solid wall of students and their out of town relatives. Which is to say, one must shop carefully, and stopping to eat is an invitation to a string of awkward introductions or hand-fluttering "OHMYGODTHERE'STEACHER!"

There was a sale: half off on Campbell's Pork and Beans. I'd seen them before, but always at a greatly inflated price. I guess I was pretty hungry because I bought them out. And how do you argue with half off?
And then there was a new product, also mysteriously on half-price clearance (or maybe not so mysteriously, as it's something I've never seen before, here or there): SPAM.
lite

I bought three cans.

After checkout, I went to the cafeteria side and grabbed a spoon.

I ate a can of each right in the middle of things.

It was some of the best food I've had since I got here.

I just hope none of the after-school crowd of mothers was too embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment