Saturday, August 13, 2011

On working very, very, VERY hard to keep to the middle path

My head is still up and my feet are still on the loose and level and there wasn't even any screaming.
The return of the fingernail fungus is unsurprising. I was frankly not expecting it to go away in the first place.
And in that vein, after watching the burly head nurse remove the empty Japanese takeout containers and scrub the table with a 1 ply napkin before throwing a handful of cotton balls and syringes on it, then brushing her hands over the garbage, (another) staph infection maybe isn't the worst thing.
And there's little point in getting angry at the doc after having to push that the inflamed veins were not just due to being skinny--self-direction around trained pros is a big loss of face in these parts, so I'm real challenging already. But it is extremely difficult to maintain a happy, or at least quiet place while someone who has just increased my regimin of immunosupressives while sesame seeds from the lunch meeting that never quite left the table on which rested the syringe that entered my bloodstream, the cotton balls that stemmed the flow of two superfluous attempts to install a large-gauge IV catheter for the trip home (in case I might have to check into the hospital and they don't have any that size--or maybe we can wait at least for the test results from a draw at another vein to see if I actually need the inpatient time [not really] *rupture* or maybe let them try), while this doctor who was chatting with a colleague across the room about a consultation with some lady who was also in the room while navigating a remote camera through my colon, explains that the infection is because the malabsorption has weakened my skin and veins so much that I have essentially no strength in my natural barriers. And while I wouldn't argue with that, I would point out that my job teaching just over a thousand snot faced kids on a campus without soap or bathroom sinks in a culture that doesnt believe in sanitizer would tax even a robust immune system, let alone one on drugs designed to suppress the reactions that lead to irritation, and maybe it would be good for the nurse to at least wash her hands between cleanup and playing with intravenous needles. Just a thought.

So it's just staph, nothing big. Let them deal with it back up north.

Just imagine: I could be someplace not known for its medical care.

Sent from Brutus the iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment